Glacier Blasting offers rewarding careers to skilled, reliable, and motivated individuals who enjoy meeting new challenges and taking a hands-on approach while working independently or alongside other experienced professionals. We offer training, mentoring and professional development for every employee and support opportunities for your growth and advancement.
We are looking for new team members to fill the positions of Pipeline High Scalers for our remote site-based projects. Reporting to the Site Foreman, for a designated Pipeline Project, you will work integrally with the Scaling Foreman and Scaling crew on all of our scaling projects throughout Canada. Your involvement and role will depend entirely on the size and scope of each of these projects.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate and assist with all day-to-day project initiatives and daily toolbox meetings
- Work closely with the Scaling Foreman and Client in all aspects of the project stages
- Complete equipment checklists before the beginning of each shift, which includes checking of your harness and hardware
- Ensuring the integrity of your rope before use be able to follow proper set up procedures for your rope, prussic/lanyard and carabiner
- Ability to confidentially ascend and rappel on your rope
- Be able to communicate with other workers including verbally, use of radios, and using hand signals
- Setting up your work area for scaling, including carrying tools when working or rappelling, and using a working knot
- Scaling high angle slopes including selecting appropriate materials, use of scaling bar and Sandvik
- Ability to identify hazards, follow safety plans and procedures and able to work with other team members to control risk
- Be able to evacuate potentially injured personnel with assisted rappel, including assessing injuries and assisting the injured worker without the use of a basket
- Help promote a work environment where the safety and health of all employees, subcontractors, and individuals on site is paramount
- Minimum 2 years as a High Scaler on Slopes over 100feet
- General Knowledge of drilling, rope access and rock scaling
- Knowledge of personal protective equipment, the use of fall protection, the ability to work in a close-knit team environment
- General knowledge of knots including Bowline, Clove Hitch, Figure eight and how to tie a Prussic
- Knowledge of the use of acceptable anchor points
- Confident communicator
- Proficient Climber
- In good physical shape and ability to pass a fit to work test
- Minimum Level 1 First aid is preferred
- Good work ethic and a willingness to learn
- Remote fly-in camp locations – Typical rotation is 3 weeks in and 1 week out, 12-hour days
- Field environment, working to deadlines, some high stress situations (e.g., meeting deadlines)
- May be required to work outside of normal work hours to meet the needs of the project
- Will be working around heavy equipment and in a noisy environment (PPE required)
- Frequent travel
- On call for emergencies as needed
Perks and Compensation:
- Union Pipeline base wage of $48.17/hr.
- Union Benefits/Pension Plan
- LOA (Living out Allowance)
- Retention Bonus
Glacier Blasting is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in our recruitment and hiring practices.
Only candidates who are most qualified for the position will be contacted.